Some of you may already know this, but I'm kind of obsessed with white distilled vinegar.
I use it for pretty much everything around the house and have been asked to share more specifically about what I use it to do and the ratios of vinegar to other cleaning products in my mixtures. So here goes!!!
- Cleaning my window blinds (equal parts vinegar to hot water and a wet rag)
- Cleaning my countertops (undiluted on a rag OR in a spray bottle with equal parts vinegar & water with a few drops of essential oil for fragrance)
- Cleaning my microwave (place a small cup of equal parts vinegar and water in the microwave and heat until boiling, then simply wipe down)
|My shiny microwave after a vinegar wash!|
- Cleaning my Keurig coffeemaker
- Cleaning my garbage disposal (freeze ice cubes of vinegar and then put them down the disposal while running, then run cold water through for a little bit)
- To de-stink our kitchen (or bathroom shower!) drains, pour one cup vinegar down the drain, leave it for 15-30 minutes and then rinse it out with hot water. You can also actually un-clog drains by putting baking soda and vinegar down the drain together, but I haven't personally tried this.
- As a floor cleaner in our floor steam mop (I personally mix 1/4 container vinegar and 3/4 container water)
- Cleaning out our refrigerator
- I used to use vinegar as a rinse aid until I read this post talking about damage to her dishwasher, so I recently switched to leaving a small cup of vinegar in the top rack. It seems to be working well as a rinse aid so far!
- Getting rid of unwanted pests (spray undiluted vinegar where ants or other pests are getting in your house, or leave a small cup on your counter top to get rid of fruit flies)
- Clean & deodorize toilets (to deodorize put a few cups in the bowl and let it sit for 15-30 minutes before flushing)
- Cleaning my glass table, mirrors, and windows (equal parts water and vinegar, if you have streak problems you can add a bit of rubbing alcohol but I've never had to do that!)
- As a daily shower cleaner (I've yet to use this but I have friends who swear by it. Equal parts vinegar and Dawn dish soap in a dishwand sponge, lightly clean walls before you clean yourself in the shower. No need to rinse, use every day for clean tiles and grout)
- To clean baby toys (water and dish soap with a cup of vinegar per bucket of water used)
- Doorknob cleaner (spray or wipe with undiluted vinegar)
These are just a few of the ways I use vinegar around our home for cleaning, do you use vinegar in your home in any other ways?