Tuesday, February 12, 2013

I'm benign!

You might be wondering why you're looking at a giant picture of my neck right now.

Mainly, it's because I'm really, really happy, relieved, and thankful right about now- and I'm showing off my healthy goods!

You may remember a few months ago when I talked about some abnormal thyroid results during my pregnancy.  If you missed that post, here's a quick summary.  My thyroid blood test came back abnormal, I was sent to an endocrinologist, they found two thyroid nodules, and they recommended I have them biopsied to determine if they were benign or malignant (also known as cancerous).  Because I was nearing the end of my pregnancy the endocrinologist recommended that I wait until after little lady was born to perform the biopsy, because if it were cancerous they wouldn't treat me until I had given birth anyway.

Basically, I had to walk around for three months not knowing for three months if I was totally fine or if there was something significantly medically wrong with me.  I pretty much stuck- no, shoved- my head into the sand and ignored any thoughts or feelings about the possibilities and carried on carrying on.

Until the end of January, at which time I had to go in for the biopsy.  I was pretty much fine until the night before the biopsy, when I kind of freaked out for a few.  I had been so focused on little lady's newborn care, transitioning little man into being okay with the changes at home, and keeping up with everything else going on in our lives that I had basically been able to ignore the upcoming biopsy.

The night before?  Not so much.

I unfortunately let my mind race a little too much, and was up the whole night worrying.

The biopsy itself was not a big deal, at all.  They numbed the area and took about 3,457,732 needles full of my inerds out, but it was only mildly uncomfortable and a really quick procedure.  I was out the door with my ice pack and band-aid, on my way to the grocery store- in less than an hour from when I walked in to the office.  My neck was a bit sore for the next few days, but I think this was exacerbated by the fact that little man head-butted my neck later in the night while we were playing.

Cue in a few more days of pretending that life was normal and I wasn't waiting on the news, and the Dr's office called to update.

Completely benign!  

Since they didn't find anything concerning, the endocrinologist will have me back in 6 months to assess the size of the nodules again.  They want to make sure they aren't growing and that there are no new nodules.  But for now, that was seriously amazing news and I wanted to share with those of you who remembered I'd had that appointment coming up!  (Thank you for your emails!)

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.  :)

signature photo signature.png

tweet this!follow on fb


  1. Congrats!! I'll continue to say a prayer that all stays well.

  2. Yay! I'm really glad for you. Hoping it stay that way.

  3. Glad things came back benign!

  4. I'm glad the wait is over with great news!

  5. I'm so glad everything came back normal! What great news!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips